Sunday, October 11, 2026

#1681 1 Corinthians 9 Part 2 Shadow Boxing

 

                                        J.C. Ryle


15 But I have used none of these things. And I am not writing these things so that it will be done so in my case, for it would be better for me to die than have anyone make my boast an empty one. 16 For if I proclaim the gospel, I have nothing to boast, for I am under compulsion. For woe is me if I do not proclaim the gospel. 17 For if I do this voluntarily, I have a reward; but if against my will, I have a stewardship entrusted to me. 18 What then is my reward? That, when I proclaim the gospel, I may offer the gospel without charge, so as not to make full use of my authority in the gospel.

19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 20 And to the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews. To those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law. 21 To those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. 23 So I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. 25 Now everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They then do it to receive a corruptible crown, but we an incorruptible. 26 Therefore I run in such a way, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; 27 but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that, after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified. 1 Corinthians 9: 15-27 LSB

1 Corinthians 9: 15-27

15. But I have used none of these things - Paul has just gone through a list of qualifications that make him equal to those apostles who are receiving support from the church, but he himself has chosen to set this right aside and remain a tent maker. Let this be understood as well, all the other apostles shared the gospel freely too, and were often repaid by the hearers with beatings and imprisonment. This was never a pay to pray, for we all received the gospel freely and should give the gospel in the same manner. Paul's continuation in labor, in working all night so that he may travel and preach during the day, has put even more weight upon his words for other pastors. It is a support that is first and foremost of a free will, then before handing out money or goods we must evaluate the recipient and what the money is going to. Paul receives gifts at different times when God has laid it upon the hearts of his brothers and sisters, but he is not on the payroll with any consistent salary, which has given him a lot of breadth in this matter. In Exodus those working on the tabernacle were actually men of integrity, who, once realizing they had more then they needed, asked Moses to tell the people to stop bringing in money for the work. Stewardship works both ways.

…5and said to Moses, “The people are bringing more than enough for doing the work the LORD has commanded us to do.” 6After Moses had given an order, they sent a proclamation throughout the camp: “No man or woman should make anything else as an offering for the sanctuary.” So the people were restrained from bringing more, 7since what they already had was more than enough to perform all the work.… Exodus 36: 5-7


V. 15b - 18 And I am not writing these things so that it will be done so in my case - It's not like false humility that fishes for a compliment regardless of how one's words play themselves down. He actually has more vested here. It allows him to speak more freely on behalf of others, working with his hands removes a stumbling block for those who have been burnt by the snake oil salesmen, and it is the boast of his ministry, not arrogantly, but that I have had the privilege to give in such a manner. It also has kept him from becoming complacent so that when he is sick, in prison, and has received gifts, he can see the hand of God and not coming to rely on a steady income has probably brought him to his knees more frequently. These gifts connected the givers to Paul's suffering, and came from the motivation of love rather than the compulsion of fear or pressure.

MacArthur adds that "He was not using subterfuge, hoping that, despite his protest, they would begin to pay him. He had never taken pay from those he served and he never intended to. Nor was he now asking for that in a disguised way." - PA

…16For even while I was in Thessalonica, you provided for my needs again and again. 17Not that I am seeking a gift, but I am looking for the fruit that may be credited to your account. 18I have all I need and more, now that I have received your gifts from Epaphroditus. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, well-pleasing to God.… Philippians 4: 16-18

…13In what way were you inferior to the other churches, except that I was not a burden to you? Forgive me this wrong! 14See, I am ready to come to you a third time, and I will not be a burden, because I am not seeking your possessions, but you. For children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children. 15And for the sake of your souls, I will most gladly spend my money and myself. If I love you more, will you love me less?… 2 Corinthians 12: 13-15

Vs. 19-20 I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more - Paul put the needs of others first, so that even his liberty was to deny himself  his liberties in order to win more. I have a first world problem that I am always so concerned about my rights, but not equally as eager to pray for and forgive those who have infringed upon them. Paul's willingness to set lesser things aside makes it easier to teach concerning all things. If someone feels or believes that they can't eat pork then that is not the greatest thing they lack in their understanding. It is not the end of the world and bacon is not my gospel, so when Paul is with the Jews he lives as they live. When with the gentiles he does the same and protects them from Judaizers who would demand that they be circumcised and come under the ceremonial law. 

1It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not be encumbered once more by a yoke of slavery. 2Take notice: I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3Again I testify to every man who gets himself circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law.… Galatians 5: 1-3

V. 21 Though not being without the Law of God but under the Law of Christ - The moral law still stands, but we have all failed regarding it, and those who are saved are saved through Christ's keeping of the law and his atoning work on the cross. Paul and Peter interject lines like this to defend against those false teachers who would lead people into antinomianism.

…31I cling to Your testimonies, O LORD; let me not be put to shame. 32I run in the path of Your commandments, for You will enlarge my heart. 33Teach me, O LORD, the way of Your statutes, and I will keep them to the end.… Psalm 119: 31-33


17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18For I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19So then, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do likewise will be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever practices and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.…
20For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 21You have heard that it was said to the ancients, ‘Do not murder’ and ‘Anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, ‘Raca,’ will be subject to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be subject to the fire of hell.… Matthew 5: 17-22




…15Consider also that our Lord’s patience brings salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote you with the wisdom God gave him. 16He writes this way in all his letters, speaking in them about such matters. Some parts of his letters are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17Therefore, beloved, since you already know these things, be on your guard so that you will not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure standing.… 2 Peter 3: 15-17

MacArthur on law - To keep from being misunderstood, he makes it clear that he is not talking about ignoring or violating God’s moral law. The Ten Commandments and all of God’s other moral laws have, if anything, been strengthened under the New Covenant. For example, not only is it sin to commit murder but also to be inordinately angry with your brother or to call him a fool. Not only is adultery sinful, but so is lust (Matt. 5:21–30). Love does not abrogate God’s moral law but fulfills it (Rom. 13:8, 10; cf. Matt. 5:17). None of us in Christ is without [outside] the law of God, but rather are under the law of Christ. Every believer is under complete legal obligation to Jesus Christ—even though love, rather than the externalities of the law, is to be the guiding force. (MNTC-1 Cor) - PA

Vs. 22-23 To the weak I became weak - Again laying aside his liberties. When someone is teaching me something that I don't understand yet then I always ask for the kindergarten version. There is nothing wrong with admitting you do not know or don't quite understand something, and it is far worse to pretend that you do understand only to leave and act in error. Paul takes the time to gently clarify and explain from every angle for those who don't understand, but then goes a step further for the weak and gives up his rights and privileges in order to win more people for the gospel. Everything he does is to reach a broader audience, to tell more people, not by way of compromising the gospel, but self sacrifice.

…13I am speaking to you Gentiles. Inasmuch as I am the apostle to the Gentiles, I magnify my ministry 14in the hope that I may provoke my own people to jealousy and save some of them. 15For if their rejection is the reconciliation of the world, what will their acceptance be but life from the dead?… Romans 11: 13-15

1That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our own eyes, which we have gazed upon and touched with our own hands—this is the Word of life. 2And this is the life that was revealed; we have seen it and testified to it, and we proclaim to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us. 3We proclaim to you what we have seen and heard, so that you also may have fellowship with us. And this fellowship of ours is with the Father and with His Son, Jesus Christ.… 1 John 1: 1-3

Vs. 24-25 They then do it to receive a corruptible crown - Runners at the Olympic games would receive a wreath that would wither, but for this temporary ornament they would discipline themselves, bringing their bodies under submission. I have often marveled at UFC fighters cutting weight during fight camp and especially that last push right before weigh ins. Some of the drops are extreme when you think of someone who normally walks around at 220 pounds trying to make weight to fight at 185. I could stand to lose 60 myself right now, but getting there is difficult and keeping it off isn't easy either. Paul is competing for something much more glorious than a trophy, longer lasting than gold or silver, and is willing to make sacrifices to do so. 

Vs. 26-27 I box in such a way, as not beating the air - It is for a purpose, he buffets his body, he trains in order to engage, not for looks or a game, but he brings his body into subjection to be prepared. A fighter spars so that he can feel what it is like to get hit so that he does not freeze up in the ring. He is training his body to respond differently then it normally would, engaging his mind to push through pain, to not freeze up or curl away from his opponent. Our battle isn't against flesh and blood, but the outside influences that attack our bodies, like hunger, or slanderers, or bullies, should not dictate how we respond, nor do they excuse our responses. God tells us how to live as Christians and so we must be righteous regardless of what people say about us, or whether we are sick or hungry. I have often found myself to be a much lesser man than I thought once trouble has come to me. Paul is testing himself and preparing himself for this in advance. Paul prays for justice, confronts sin and false teachers, but he also lays aside personal comfort and shares the gospel even when it leads to prison or death. 

…11Put on the full armor of God, so that you can make your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this world’s darkness, and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore take up the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you will be able to stand your ground, and having done everything, to stand.… Ephesians 6: 11-13

…27To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. 28We proclaim Him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. 29To this end I also labor, striving with all His energy working powerfully within me.… Colossians 1: 27-29




































































0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.