Monday, August 17, 2026

#1672 1 Corinthians 4 Part 2 Self Satisfaction

 




8 You are already filled, you have already become rich, you have ruled without us—and how I wish that you had ruled indeed so that we also might rule with you. 9 For, I think that God has exhibited us apostles last of all, as men condemned to death, because we have become a spectacle to the world, and to angels, and to men. 10 We are fools for the sake of Christ, but you are prudent in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are glorious, but we are without honor! 11 To this present hour we hunger and thirst, and are poorly clothed, and roughly treated, and homeless; 12 and we labor, working with our own hands; when we are reviled, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure; 13 when we are slandered, we try to plead; we have become as the scum of the world, the grime of all things, even until now.

14 I do not write these things to shame you, but to admonish you as my beloved children. 15 For if you were to have countless tutors in Christ, yet you would not have many fathers, for in Christ Jesus I became your father through the gospel. 16 Therefore I exhort you, be imitators of me. 17 For this reason I have sent to you Timothy, who is my beloved and faithful child in the Lord, and who will remind you of my ways which are in Christ, just as I teach everywhere in every church. 18 Now some have become puffed up, as though I were not coming to you. 19 But I will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I shall know, not the words of those who are puffed up but their power. 20 For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power. 21 What do you desire? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love and a spirit of gentleness? 1 Corinthians 4: 8-21 LSB

1 Corinthians 4: 8-21

V. 8 You are already filled - We left off with Paul confronting their boasting in men and their love of worldly wisdom. This wisdom brought them to believe that they were already rich spiritually, that they were mature and reigning, as though they were in the Millennial Kingdom now. They were content in themselves, conceited. It is easy to live in past success, what you used to do; I read the Bible, I believed, my testimony is that I am no longer the person I used to be, but are you done growing then? Have you confused a time of prosperity with God acknowledging something special about you that other Christians don't seem to have? Have you become like Job's friends and think that Christians being put in prison in China or slaughtered in Nigeria are suffering because they aren't as spiritually mature as you, don't hold their tongue or cross their fingers the same way you do when you pray?

…16So because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to vomit you out of My mouth! 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have grown wealthy and need nothing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked. 18I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined by fire so that you may become rich, white garments so that you may be clothed and your shameful nakedness not exposed, and salve to anoint your eyes so that you may see.… Revelation 3: 16-18

11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead. 12Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,… Philippians 3: 11-13

Vs. 9-10 As men condemned to death - `    MacArthur notes that the set of gladiators reserved for the finale were going to be fighting for their lives. They were often the worst sort of criminals or political opponents. Paul uses the contrast of his life versus theirs. In their minds he is probably doing it wrong, like many in the Pentecostal movements would suggest. People cringe at the thought of using sarcasm, but people also cringe at basic truths today, yet Paul doesn't shrink from it. "We are fools, you are prudent, we are weak, but you are strong, you are glorious, yet we are without honor." 

MacArthur - Verses 9-13 can be summarized by four words: spectacles, fools, sufferers, and scum. Those words describe Paul’s condition in contrast to what the Corinthians considered their condition to be. They thought they had everything in themselves; he knew he had nothing in himself....During the millennial kingdom the twelve apostles will reign with Christ on earth. They will “sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel” (Matt. 19:28). But when they ministered on earth they did anything but rule. They became a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men. They were ridiculed, spit upon, imprisoned, beaten, mocked, an generally treated like criminals. Then they were last; but in Christ’s coming kingdom they will be first.

Morris - spectacle. This word is better translated "theater." In its only other occurrence in the New Testament, this word is also translated as such (Acts 19:29,31). It is sobering, as well as amazing, to realize that Christians--especially Christian leaders such as Paul and the apostles--are on a stage, as it were, being carefully watched by an audience that even includes the angels (compare Ephesians 3:10; 1 Corinthians 11:10; 1 Peter 1:12). - Precept Austin

V. 11 We are both hungry and thirsty - Very difficult concepts for Western Christians. I am fat, and have to make hard decisions like, "what do I feel like eating today?" Paul goes without often, and prison is probably a welcome break at times because he receives a meal. Coming to Christ because you think you will become wealthy is not Paul's story, and Jesus turned away those looking only for fish and bread. Judas was there for wealth, and when it didn't pan out he sold the Savior of the world, his only real hope, for next to nothing. 

…11I am not saying this out of need, for I have learned to be content regardless of my circumstances. 12I know how to live humbly, and I know how to abound. I am accustomed to any and every situation— to being filled and being hungry, to having plenty and having need. 13I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.… Philippians 4: 11-13

Vs. 12-13 We labor, working with our own hands - The Greeks considered manual labor beneath them. It was something reserved for slaves. This again goes back to worldly wisdom. Paul had a trade, and we make the same mistake today. I hear people say they are sending their kids to school so that they don't follow in the family business of farming, laying tile, or so many other things that are much more necessary and therefore dignified then where we place them. The richest men still have to eat the food that the farmer grows, and all your wealth would become worthless if people stopped refused to farm. Paul doesn't take a salary and this also frees him up to teach that it is okay to do this in the case of a vocational elder. Sometimes God calls you to be a tent maker though, that would be to have the call but without the money, perhaps to a people who are poor. 

17Elders who lead effectively are worthy of double honor, especially those who work hard at preaching and teaching. 18For the Scripture says, Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain,” and, “The worker is worthy of his wages.” 19Do not entertain an accusation against an elder, except on the testimony of two or three witnesses.… 1 Timothy 5: 17-19

…13Do you not know that those who work in the temple eat of its food, and those who serve at the altar partake of its offerings? 14In the same way, the Lord has prescribed that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. 15But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this to suggest that something be done for me. Indeed, I would rather die than let anyone nullify my boast.… 1 Corinthians 4: 13-15

When we are slandered (blasphemeo defamed), we try to conciliate (parakaleo) - "Humiliation suffered normally leads to anger, which is defined as a desire for revenge accompanied by pain and the recovering of one’s own honor, but Paul instead blesses, endures, and conciliates " (New Linguistic Key) 

Arnold - The Apostles tried to console and pray for those who said evil things about them. They did not try to defend or justify their actions, but committed the slanderers to God. When we bless, endure and answer kindly to our opponents, we are acting in the way Christ acted. We cannot control how people act towards us but we can control how we react to people when they treat us badly. (Conceit: The Root Of Divisions) - Precept Austin

Vs. 14-15 To admonish you - He doesn't want merely to shame them, but that this shame will lead to Godly sorrow over sins. He is approaching them as his own children, that is the amount of investment here. He loves them, and love tells the truth, it points to the One greater.

V. 16 I exhort you, be imitators of me - JMac points out that this is bold but justified, and it brings us to another qualification of those who aspire. You have to be worthy of imitation. Your life and doctrine both have to be sound. Your house has to be in order, and there can be nothing against you in business either, you have to be known even by your enemies as one who uses a just weight and balance. 

…6So we say with confidence: “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?” 7Remember your leaders who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. 8Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.… Hebrews 13: 6-8

1You are to imitate me, just as I imitate Christ. 2Now I commend you for remembering me in everything and for maintaining the traditions, just as I passed them on to you.… 1 Corinthians 11: 1-2

V. 17 For this reason I have sent to you Timothy - Paul had taught Timothy sound doctrine, and he would be able to correct any bad teaching that had slipped in. 

Vs. 18-21 Some have become puffed up - Their pride was off the hook and they were running around boasting as though they would not have to answer for it. It is still better to answer to Paul than to an angry God. There is a lot of correction that needs to occur in this body of believers, and we will see some of that instruction in the next chapter.

15If your brother sins against you, go and confront him privately. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, regard him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.…
18Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. 19Again, I tell you truly that if two of you on the earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by My Father in heaven.… Matthew 18: 15-19
















































































0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.